Wednesday, August 7, 2019

RPGaDay #7: Familiar

For #RPGaDay 2019, the seventh word prompt is Familiar.


       Today's word prompt reminds me of another #DungeonsandDragons campaign that JP ran. In this campaign I was playing Jebeddo Ningel, Gnome Druid in DnD 3.0. I had a habit of awakening my familiars which started with Flubduck, a badger. When awakened it could say its own name, which was an obvious Pokemon nod. My dire badger was named Flabduck, like Flubduck + extra weight. Once I became a Tamer of Beasts (a prestige class in the Masters of the Wild handbook), I added other animals like Grayson, a Gray Render who even gained a Fighter Level, a male and female Owlbear, and a Hydra that once awakened would argue with itself incessantly amongst its five heads. My character was True neutral with an almost fanatical hatred of civilization. He tried to convince cityfolk to go back to the wild with little success. He eventually wanted to force the people of the world back to the wilderness. When I told everyone in a town to evacuate lying about a prophecy of doom the next day as the reason and then used the Earthquake spell to level the town the next day, I became Neutral Evil. 
        My character then set a new goal for himself. I would become powerful enough to awaken and tame the Tarrasque itself and lay waste to all the cities of the world, forcing everyone to return to the natural order of life. The Tarrasque is listed as a magical beast and the special ability of the Tamer of Beasts allows you to control magical beasts (I'm pretty sure the Tarrasque has more than 30 HD though). I was planning to try at Level 30. The campaign ended at Level 20 when I was at Level 13 Druid/7 Tamer of Beasts, controlling like 40 HD of monsters. 
        What is funny here is that this a flipped script of the previous day where my character tried to save the world from an awakening evil. In this story I wanted to awaken the evil and destroy the world. Sometimes you die a hero trying to save the planet, and sometimes you live long enough to become the Big Bad Evil Guy (BBEG) who yearns to destroy most of it.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment