Monday, August 17, 2020

RPGaDay Day 17 2020: Comfort

           "Follow me my friends. I know this tavern owner, and he keeps a cask of special brew behind the bar for me...Myrthion, my good man, five mugs of the good stuff, please. Zounds--you aren't Myrthion!"--Swordmaster Luthan discovers that one more reliable fixture in his life has changed.

         The word Comfort in RPGs leads me back to the quote above from the Earthdawn Gamemaster Pack. Things were getting too comfortable and reliable, so the GM has shaken things up. Is Myrthion dead? Fired? Is the bartender an agent of one of the character's enemies sent to remove and replace Myrthion and poison the player?
        You can't let the characters get comfortable. You have to change and mix it up at times to add wrinkles and curves to the story.  It also makes the world feel more realistic and believable when no NPC is forever.

         As for me, missing my Comfort of running and playing games lately. 





No comments:

Post a Comment