Sunday, September 1, 2019

From the Vault: The Torment of Evok Nor


7 Sands Campaigns

Volume 3: The TORMENT of EVOK NOR

“Revenge will be mine, no matter the price!” —Evok Nor


A Brief Foreword From the Author


                This journal deals with the journeys of Evok Nor following his separation from the rest of the party at Bartertown as he searched for his two brothers and for a cure to his curse. Unlike Crag Hack, Evok Nor’s chronicles don’t care much for chronological dating, as Evok Nor was sometimes in pain for days on end because of his curse and he lost track of time, especially as the curse’s power increased. He is also an enraged, bitter character who has mostly turned himself over to the dark power of Raggok and revenge at this point against whoever has cursed him. He is a hero slowly turning villain, corrupted by the curses of an unknown armor and the malignant power of Raggok. The two sessions talked about here were called Kin and Prophecy.  Just a note, Roam Tannin (my first Earthdawn character) and Mephit Nor (Eugene’s second Earthdawn character) were originally played in the very first Earthdawn quest Eugene and I played in and had left their original party to search for treasure in the Servos Jungle, which is why they are wandering around the Servos Jungle in my game world. 
               

CAST (PCs and NPC Allies)

In Order of Appearance


EVOK NOR

Player: Eugene James Sherman
Race/Discipline/Circle: Elf Wizard Third Circle/ Nethermancer Second Circle
Homeland: Vors
Passion: Raggok Questor Rank 3
Character History: At Vors was born three brothers, each fifty years apart. It is most unusual for an elf family to have more than one child, and the mother and father knew that these three would be most special. The first-born was Mestoph Nor, the brooding older brother. The middle-child was Evok Nor, who knew only cruelty from his older brother and tricks from his younger brother. The youngest was Mephit Nor who delighted in tricks and later illusions. Mestoph Nor would become a Nethermancer, in part because of his gloomy outlook knowing of his responsibilities to take care of his younger brothers after the death of his parents, which drove him to seek treasure later in life to care for them, leading him to his sad fate. Mestoph Nor’s wandering out to get treasure greatly affected his younger brother Mephit Nor who would become an adept and leave to find treasure as well. Mephit Nor became an Illusionist and heard of a fabulous treasure in the Servos Jungle, but he never returned. Evok Nor became a Wizard to learn analytical skills that would help him investigate what had happened to his two brothers. Following a lead that Mephit Nor was seen in Bartertown before heading off to the Servos Jungle, he headed there from Vors. When he donned the bloodweave armor, he was afflicted with a terrible curse, and he seemed to change for the worse. He became a Nethermancer and Questor of Raggok at Dimazad. He had a great deal of anger directed towards Jaspree and Elementalists whom he thought had created the bloodweave armor.
Long-term Goals: Learn of the fate of his two brothers; find a cure for his curse.

JIM

Player: Jason Murphy
Race/Discipline/Circle: Human Horror Stalker Fifth Circle
Homeland: Dimazad
Passion: None
Character History: Jim was born in Dimazad from a long-line of horror stalkers. Their task was to guard the entrance of Kaer Dimazad and make sure the place was safe from all intruders. They were told that all who approached the town that were not from Dimazad were horror-marked. Unfortunately for Dimazad, Jim was not as focused on his duty as his previous generations. He frequently made forays into the Servos to battle the ghita, leaving the Kaer unguarded most of the time… Now he lairs at Mount Horrorsbane in his continuing fight against the Horrors.
Long-term Goals: Taking out as many horrors as he can before they get him.

CAN’N THE JAW
Player: Joshua Murphy
Race/Discipline/Circle: Troll Sky Raider Fifth Circle
Homeland: Caucavik Mountain Range
Passion: Chorrolis, Thystonius
Trollmoot: Shrieker
Character History: Can’N the Jaw was born in the Caucavik Mountains. He was drawn to a trollmoot born of castoffs and exiles from other trollmoots called the Shriekers who dreamed of founding a new trollmoot in the Caucavik Mountains. The clan leader, Mad Off, initiated him into the sky raider Discipline. The clan’s financial backing came from Pagmor Gilthroat, whose gambling racket in Haven secretly kept the trolls alive as they sought a new moothome in the Caucavik Mountains. Can’N the Jaw grew tired of this lifestyle and sought out on his own to find a drakkar for himself with which to challenge Mad Off for control of the clan. At Bartertown, he learned of the Stoneclaws, whose adoption of Throalic customs greatly angered him. Can’N the Jaw sought to establish the Shriekers in the Twilight Peaks by eliminating the Stoneclaws and taking over their part of the Twilight peaks. A rumor of a drakkar sighting in the Servos Jungle brought him to that area. After destroying Dimazad and stealing their drakkar, he had gained much respect in the Shrieker trollmoot, and the Shriekers were currently gaining power in the Caucavik Mountains.
Long-term Goals: Becoming leader of the Shrieker trollmoot, eliminating the hated Stoneclaw trollmoot, and resettling the trollmoot in the Twilight Peaks.

CAST (NPCs/Enemies)

In Order of Appearance


RAGNAR
Race/Discipline/Circle: Dwarf Thief Fifth Circle
Homeland: Throal
Passion: Chorrolis
Character History: See the story Inheritance in the Earthdawn First Edition rulebook from pages 12-19. 

VALAAN
Race/Discipline/Circle: Human Weaponsmith Ninth Circle/Elementalist Third Circle
Homeland: Jerris
Passion: Upandal
Character History: Originally from Jerris, Valaan made weapons and armor for the Jerris Falcons. He came to Bartertown by way of drakkar in the hopes of finally creating his own business. He learned the ways of enchanting, and made a ton of money selling items to Jafeedehelaah and eventually earned enough money to buy his own shop.

HIERMON
Race/Discipline/Circle: Human Wizard Seventh Circle
Homeland: Haven
Passion: Chorrolis
Character History: See Mists of Betrayal page 91. See Parlainth page 23. IMB, Hiermon is a cranky, cursing, greedy Wizard (and was a PC favorite). 

FAFEDRIEL
Race/Discipline/Circle: Blood Elf Nethermancer Twelfth Circle
Homeland: Blood Wood
Passion: Astendar
Character History: See Parlainth page 37.  He was very interested in Evok Nor for some reason and held back his usual mockery…

WARREN CRESCENT (a.k.a. Nemesis)
Race/Discipline/Circle: Human Wizard Ninth Circle?
Homeland: Fortress near the Midland Trading Post.
Passion: None
Character History: Warren Crescent is the alternate name Nemesis chose when dealing with Evok Nor. Nemesis came to believe that by manipulating Evok Nor and the prophesy, he could eliminate the Great Hunter, and gain great power through the bloodweave armor. 

QUEEN ALACHIA
Race/Discipline/Circle: Blood Elf Troubadour Twelfth Circle/ Illusionist Eleventh Circle/ Elementalist Tenth Circle
Homeland: Elf Queen’s Palace
Passion: Astendar
Character History: See Blood Wood page 39-41. 

The Torment of Evok Nor

 

Kin


Bartertown, Approximately Veltom 30 1509 TH, based on Crag Hack’s Journals:


                Crag Hack was an obsidiman of few words, but always writing this or that in his journal. One might say that I, Evok Nor, am exactly the opposite, always talking and never writing. I prefer the directness of vocal conversation, rather than taking the long way through writing and later reading by others. Until now anyway, as on this lone journey I really have no one else to talk to, so I might as well write about my journey.
                I continue my search to find my two brothers, Mephit and Mestoph Nor, long lost to me. Perhaps this is fitting, since I have also lost myself since the donning of this accursed bloodweave armor. Unlike normal fernweave, which survives by watering, the bloodweave armor uses its wearer as its water and soil, drinking from its users very blood to survive. I have to drink nearly twice as much water and eat twice as much food as other Name-givers just to survive its slow drain on my body.   It grows enough to obscure my vision with its leaves and thorns. Oh yes, how could I forget about the thorns that rip and tear into me as well? This armor’s curse may even be just in its beginning stages. There has to be a way to remove it without killing the host, despite what that fool Questor of Garlen said in Bartertown. She’s lucky I didn’t use the power of Raggok to strike her down for her incompetence.
                I have decided to return to the Servos Jungle, where I had originally found the bloodweave armor. I had heard a legend in Bartertown about a Temple of Jaspree that supposedly could be used to speak to that Passion directly. Jaspree will pay for his crime of making this armor in the first place. A second legend I had heard spoke of a great treasure in the Servos Jungle, something that might have piqued the interest of my greedy brother Mephit.

 Approximately Charassa 25, 1509 TH, based in Crag Hack’s Journals:

               
                As I traveled through the Servos Jungle, I was suddenly struck down by terrible pain. The threads I had placed in my elfweave robe were unraveling. The group pattern was dissipating. No matter, I didn’t need them anymore. 

Approximately Rua-Mawag 1509 TH


                After nearly a month or two of searching, I found the Temple of Jaspree. I had slain many beasts trying to reach here, and I would have my answers. Questors of Jaspree wanted to know why I had come to this place. I told them about my search for my brother Mephit and how Jaspree is to blame for my curse. The Questors opened the gates of the Temple of Jaspree, and motioned for me to enter. I entered a grand mansion made of the sturdy trees of the Servos Jungle. After wandering its halls for much of the day, I found a large dining table, with a beast of each fauna that I had slain to get here at a chair, and a centaur, a giant half-man/half beast, who had to be Jaspree, each eating their favorite foods on fine pottery.
                Jaspree bellowed out, “Why have you come here Evok Nor? Why have you killed so many of my children to reach here?”
 I screamed at him in response, “It was you who cursed me! Their deaths are on your hands!”
Jaspree sadly spoke, “You are mistaken. The curse you bear is not by my hands. I am most proud of my work to create the Wyrm Wood and the elf people. I made the Wyrm Wood teem with life. But during the Scourge, Queen Alachia put her faith in wooden kaers that failed. She faced the destruction of the Wyrm Wood and the Elven Court. Rather than allow the place to be destroyed, her Elementalists created the Ritual of Thorns, forever corrupting the place as the Blood Wood, and changing the physical forms of the people, the animals, and the plants. Their corrupted forms make me weep, as does your own presence here. Your own people cursed you. If you wish to learn more about the curse, go to the Blood Wood.”
 I responded, “That’s just not possible!”
Jaspree replied, “Even if you don’t believe me, you must go to the Blood Wood to find out the truth of what I say.”
I paused to consider his words and then said, “ You may be right. What of my brother Mephit Nor? Have you seen him?”
Jaspree angrily said, “I have cursed him and his friend Roam Tannin to wander the Servos Jungle.” 
I couldn’t believe it and enraged said, “ You have cursed my brother and not me you say! How can I trust what you have already said knowing this? Why have you cursed my little brother?”
Jaspree calmly spoke, “ Their greed blinds them to the truth of the treasure of the Servos Jungle. When they finally realize the truth, they shall be freed from the curse. If you wish to steal from me, I have every right to punish you as I see fit. Mynbruje does not preside over the jungle, I do. Now I have prepared a fine meal for you.”
I looked about the room and all the animals were gone, and instead there was a gigantic feast on the table. I told Jaspree, “There is no way I could eat all of this.”
Jaspree looked unmoved and said, “You will not leave this place until you do.”
I was perplexed and said, “Why?”
Jaspree answered, “You should eat what you kill. That is survival; necessary death to continue one’s own life. Otherwise it is murder. Whatever false hatred you had for me should not have been transferred to my innocent children. Now you shall eat and pay homage to their sacrifice to further your own life.”
            Thus I spent a long-time at the Temple of Jaspree, eating and drinking, as my armor and I grew stronger and stronger. 

Unknown 1509 TH


                The moment I finished the feast, I found myself on the outskirts of the Servos Jungle. I had learned of Mephit’s fate, and had decided to return to Bartertown. There was nothing I could do for Mephit until he released himself from his own curse. Good luck, my brother. I know how you feel. 
 

Bartertown and Throal, Approximately Sollus 1509 TH 


                At Bartertown, I rested for a time at Crag Hack’s Mansion as a guest, before trying to find my elder brother Mestoph. Crag Hack had done well for himself, becoming a leader of Name-givers here in Bartertown. I would have never guessed he was capable of such an accomplishment.  I was able to fully recover from my trip back from the edge of the Servos Jungle.  I eventually got word of a crazed, drunken dwarf called Ragnar who was telling a tale at some local Throal taverns that included an elf called Mestoph. Could it be my brother? I went to hear this lush’s tale.
                The tavern was called the Shattered Mug. I could tell right away who Ragnar was, the disheveled, drunken dwarf closest to the door. I sat down and ordered some fine elven wine next to the dwarf who stank of dwarf stout and sleeping in his own vomit. The bartender’s eyes went wide at the sight of me (if nothing else, the bloodweave is certainly an intimidating sight), and he hurriedly went and cleaned a glass for me, and sent a wench to the backroom to fetch me my wine.  After getting my fine elven wine, and casting the clean spell on the glass, the dust-covered bottle, as well as on Ragnar’s clothes, I ordered the dwarf a bottle of dwarf stout ale, and asked him to regale me with his best stories as payment for the favor.   The greedy dwarf’s eyes went wide, and he started in on his “best” story. He told me a long story (see Inheritance in the Earthdawn First Edition rulebook or Earthdawn Player’s Compendium, or as a free PDF in Free Stuff in the Downloads section at Earthdawn Classic), and despite whatever alcohol he had imbibed, I saw his eyes light up as he talked of treasure, and the look of terror and fear that still lingered as he talked of Horrors. Mestoph was dead, and his killer was still alive. Raggok and I, demanded retribution on this wormskull. 
                I asked, “What happened to Lorm’s axe?”
                Ragnar replied, “ I gave it away at a town called Twin Chin a long time ago.”
                I further requested, “It is unfortunate that Lorm will not be avenged with his axe. Where is Kaer Jalendale?”
                Ragnar responded, “You want to go there? Are you crazy? There is no way you could take a wormskull alone.”
                I retorted, “Don’t worry dwarf, I won’t be alone. I have a friend that can help me.”
                Ragnar laughed and said, “ Well it’s your funeral. Kaer Jalendale is located near the Tylon Mountains. There are a few vicious ork cavalryman groups in the area, including the Fists of Fahd and Bronze Hand.”
                I cackled and said, “Ork cavalrymen are nothing to me.”
                A few orks in the bar took offense to that comment, their rage triggered by their gahads, and a group of them tried to jump me. After a few “inspired” words from Raggok, they were fighting each other, and during the ensuing barroom brawl, I made my egress before the Royal Guards arrived.
                I visited the Throal Library the next day in order to obtain a map of the Tylon and Throal Mountains for my next ventures. 

Mount Horrorsbane, Approximately Riag 1509 TH 


                If you want to fight a Horror, it always helps to have a Horror Stalker at your side. I made the dangerous ascent into the Throal Mountains to get to Mount Horrorsbane, a highly corrupt mountain always surrounded by clouds and storms of thunder, rain, hail, and ice, which attracted the Horrors to it for some unknown reason. It was a favored spot of many Horror Stalkers, since Braza’s Kingdom was sealed. The current theory proposed for the high amount of Horror activity and corruption was that Braza’s Kingdom was linked to Mount Horrorsbane, possibly by one of the chimneys that the dwarves of Throal had made for ventilation. Personally, I think that this storm itself is highly unusual and could be the cause. No natural storm has this many changes in temperament and temperature in such a short time.
The trip was mostly uneventful, except for the sudden appearance of a flying Horror. The flying monstrosity looked a lot like a flying gnasher with bat-like wings and a huge row of teeth. Its appendages including two arms, which were more like firecannons than arms, and a tail. Their arms were used to both control flight and as a weapon. Since most of my spells in my matrices were flame-based such as ignite and flame flash, I had to quickly weave on the fly and prepared the defensive icy fingers to reduce the burning caused by his jet attacks, as well as chilling circle to see if ice-based damage was effective. When it attempted to dive into my chilling circle, I pinned him to the spot with a chant of pain and walked away.  
                When I finally reached Mount Horrorsbane, acolytes of the Horror Stalker chief accosted me.
                I said, “I seek Jim the Horror Stalker, an old companion of mine, to hunt a powerful Horror.”
                The acolytes gave a low bow and led me to the chief. An old grizzled human with painted black plate mail and a battle-axe greeted me.
                The chief said, “Welcome fellow hunter. I have met few of your race that hunt the Horrors, but all have been great hunters with the special powers of their race to protect them. Jim is currently on the hunt, I will tell him of your presence here as soon as he returns.”
                I was baffled and said, “What do you mean old man? I am an elf.”
                The chief looked confused and said, “But surely with those thorns you are a blood elf?”
                I angrily said, “ No I am no blood elf. I bear a terrible cursed armor which has caused my present outward appearance.”
                The chief warily said, “ A curse eh? Have you seen a Weaponsmith yet? I have heard tales that they have some knowledge of cursed armor and weapons.”
                I replied, “ No I have not seen a Weaponsmith about it yet. I will do so upon my return to Bartertown. The curse seems to be only upon the wearer of the armor. Do not worry for it cannot be spread to you unless you remove it from me and don it.”
                The chief looked relieved and showed me to an unfurnished cave room with a bedroll for me to wait and rest in until Jim returned.
                I waited a while for Jim to return, recovering from the long trek up the Throal Mountains.
                When Jim finally returned I told him of the tale that Ragnar had told me and about how I suspected that it was my brother Mephit who had been killed by the wormskull. He agreed to accompany me to Jalendale, and we headed off to descend back to Bartertown. 

Bartertown, Approximately Teayu 1509 TH

 

                 We returned to Crag Hack’s Mansion to rest for our long journey to the Tylon Mountains.  I was surprised to see the dwarf thief, Ragnar here. He had cleaned up, and looked like he had been off alcohol for a while. He told us that he would guide us to Jalendale. I accepted his offer. I looked for a Weaponsmith to tell me about the bloodweave and found out that Valaan was the best in Bartertown. I went to his shop, and he told me that my armor was a variant of fernweave, made with the very rare blood ivy of the Blood Wood. He didn’t know much more than that, but a Wizard called Hiermon in Haven was an expert in the blood ivy plant and could possibly know more.  
                After resting a bit, we three travelers headed back to my hometown of Vors. From there we went to Twin Chin, and made our way to Kaer Jalendale in the North-Central Tylon Mountains.

Kaer Jalendale, Approximately Doddul 1509 TH.

                As we headed to Jalendale, a gang of ork scorchers charged at us. We rushed up the Tylon Mountains; trying to slow them down on the steeper inclines. I cast ethereal darkness on some nearby rocks, and tossed them at the ork cavalrymen.  Temporarily blinded, Jim and Ragnar went in and took down some of their mounts while I looked for the entrance to Kaer Jalendale using astral sight. Having found the entrance, I prepared a levitation spell and whistled my comrades to withdraw. I concentrated on using the levitation spell to get them down safely, then chanted a few inspiring words at the remaining ork scorchers. Covered by darkness, the ork scorchers attacked one another, some sliding down the mountains to their deaths, and others killed by their own clansmen. I then used my levitation spell to enter Kaer Jalendale.
                Ragnar lead the way into Kaer Jalendale, navigating us through the various corridors, with but one goal, the wormskull that had killed his two friends. Not that Jim or I minded, killing the wormskull was what we had come here to do. And if we happened to get rich off of Jalendale’s treasure as well, so much the better.
                We had come across the eight cadaver men that Ragnar had told us about, so we knew we were getting close to the wormskull. All of a sudden, a huge troll cadaver man carrying a well-made battle-axe attacked Ragnar with a vicious downward strike, which the thief dodged nimbly. A second horizontal strike grazed across his chest Ragnar.
                Ragnar screamed out, “Lorm? No! It can’t be!”
                Lorm? But, where is the wolf’s head dagger? And why is he holding the axe, he didn’t have it when he died?
                Surprisingly, the cadaver troll spoke, “ You betrayed me, dwarf! You left me here to become the puppet of a Horror while you ran away to save your own worthless hide!”
                Ragnar’s face blanched and he fumbled for words, “No, Lorm it wasn’t like that. I made sure your axe made it out with me, your last request. I gave it to a troll Warrior who promised to avenge you.”
                I had figured it out, “ That isn’t Lorm, Ragnar. It’s an illusion created by the wormskull. Jim now!”
                As I threaded the spell dispel magic to remove the illusion, Jim who had hidden in the shadows, struck at the thing from behind. Wounded and enraged, the cadaver troll whirled around to strike at Jim. But then it struck at Jim four times as hard, just like a cadaver man. Jim was only saved by his ring mail, which managed to stop the battle-axe a few times from getting too deep. But I could hear the pop of several broken ribs, and the troll’s last slash to his shoulder made Jim unable to even lift his broadsword to attack. It was no illusion, but the image before us wasn’t real either. I hurriedly dispelled the illusionary spell on the cadaver troll, revealing a cadaver troll with a different face altogether. It was as I suspected. It wasn’t Lorm; it was the troll Warrior that Ragnar had given Lorm’s Axe to at Twin Chin.  Ragnar seemed to come out of it, and delivered a brutal surprise strike to the back of the cadaver troll who had turned to face Jim. The undead monster dropped and Lorm’s Axe rattled to the ground. Ragnar slumped and started crying. He knew he had led this young, reckless troll Warrior to a cruel fate with a tale of adventure and treasure. I knew the Horror was close, as the tears of Ragnar went from water to salt halfway down his cheeks. I tended as best I could to Jim and Ragnar, casting the relax spell on the both, and wrapping a makeshift bandages torn from the bottom of my elfweave robe around Jim’s shoulder and Ragnar’s chest. I squeezed Ragnar’s shoulder and brought him to his feet; we had company.
                My mouth was as dry as desert. Even the blood from my companions’ wounds seemed to dry out and seal. Out of the darkness the thing hissed, “Looks the small coward returns. To see his dead friends that he left behind perhaps? You remember what I want. Tell the others or die.”
                Ragnar had already told us the story, and Jim and I had no intention of freeing a Horror, except from life. Jim had dropped his buckler and managed to lift up Lorm’s axe with his offhand.  The wormskull seemed to know about Jim’s aggressive intentions, and attempted to use its power on him. He was certainly surprised when it failed, and Lorm’s Axe buried into his side before bouncing off the elemental breastplate, and Ragnar’s broadsword found its way to his backside.  I started a pain chant. The wave of terror then hit us after a strident hiss from the wormskull. Ragnar was frozen in place, as Jim and I struggled with our wills against it. While Jim and I managed to break the Horror fear, Ragnar wasn’t so lucky, and was helpless as the Horror walked towards him and used his good arm to strike him, following it up with a shifting of his skin around his chest wound. Ragnar coughing up blood then screamed in pain and dropped to the ground lifeless. Jim dropped Lorm’s Axe and found the wolf’s head dagger, jamming it into his shoulder wound to empower it with blood magic. Meanwhile I felt drawn to the wormskull after Lorm’s Axe had bled it. As I walked towards the wormskull, that was when it happened for the first time. I felt my skin crawl and I screamed, as the bloodweave vines extended beyond my body, writhing much like the worm-like tentacles of the wormskull and buried themselves in the wound left by Lorm’s Axe. I felt the vines start to draw blood and life energy from the wormskull and transfer to the armor and to me. The wormskull’s wound sizzled and was surrounded by smoke, while the thing screamed. I remembered my brother’s words, “Somewhat vulnerable to life magic.” Maybe the bloodweave had been created by life magic? With the wormskull momentarily distracted, Jim finished it off, burying the wolf’s head dagger in its head. With the Horror defeated the other eight cadaver men turned to dust, and we went to looting the treasures of Jalendale after burying Lorm, Ragnar, and Mestoph as heroes in the cliff’s outside. We left the orichalcum shields there in respect for the sacrifice of the people of Jalendale. Well that and I’ve had enough of curses for a lifetime.
                I knew now more than ever that I needed to find out about the bloodweave and what it was doing to me. I knew the curse was accelerating, since the vines around my body were moving around as an alive and aware creature feeling about at its environment for the first time.  I could tell on the return trip to Bartertown with our treasure, that the sight even unnerved Jim, a hardened Horror Stalker.

Prophecy

 

          

Bartertown, Throal Approximately Veltom 1510 TH.

 

                 After, selling almost all of my share of the treasure except Lorm’s Axe and the bracers Named Jalendale’s Defender, I went to Crag Hack’s Mansion to store these items in his vault. I then went to the Throal Library to plan my trip to Haven. I purchased two maps detailing the Mid Reach of the Serpent River and one on the Old Theran Road running through the Caucavik Mountains.  I decided that the safest route to take would probably be a caravan to Darranis, river ferry to Tansiarda, and then a caravan along the Old Theran Road to Haven.
I returned to Crag Hack’s mansion to rest for my long trip. That is when the dreams started. At first, I would stand on the verge of a vast forest. As I strode forward to enter, the forest seemed to grow to prevent my entry with a wall of brush. And then once I reached the brush, the place seemed to change from a serene, sunlit forest to a place teeming with violent life, and overgrowth that covered the place in darkness.   As I continued into the forest, the flora and fauna seemed to grow thorns and bleed onto the forest floor. I continued until I found a clearing filled with blackened trees and a blighted, scorched earth. At the center of the clearing was a gigantic tree, surrounded by elves whose skin itself was also covered with thorns. Behind them from the forest itself burst nightmarish creatures, wormskulls, horribly-bloated, floating Horrors, undead dragons, and worst of all, a Horror with a head bearing six eyes, wicked teeth and spiked horns, connected to its torso by a neck as long as a troll is tall, its body gleamed of metal and was covered in spikes, standing on four legs, each ending in talons. These Horrors surrounded the thorn-covered elves in a circle, and seemed to cast a spell on them.   After that the elves became feral and savage, their teeth growing fangs, their fingertips became claws, and they screamed like beasts. Behind me, suddenly came an army of elves without thorns, and we rushed at the Horrors and corrupted elves. With the crash of battle, I awoke in a cold sweat.  What was the meaning of this dream? Worse, it became a recurring nightmare, each night the same dream. I came to realize that there would be no respite from this dream until I learned the truth of the bloodweave.
                I was off to Haven to meet Hiermon. 

Old Theran Road, Approximately Charassa 1510 TH.

 

                I was surprised to find members of the Shriekers in the Caucavik Mountains that surrounded the Old Theran Road. When the group of brigands jumped out to try and steal my valuables, I requested to see Can’N the Jaw.  They seemed shocked that I knew his name, and knowing better than to anger the ill-tempered troll Sky Raider unnecessarily, they took me to see him. It was tough travel over frozen, rough terrain to the Shrieker’s Caucavik lair. When we reached the lair, I was lead to a cave holding a drakkar. There was Can’N the Jaw, still wearing his hide armor and body shield, as well as holding a unique pole arm of some sort. He was the captain of this drakkar apparently, based on his barking orders for the upkeep of the vessel.
                I called out to him, “I see you have selected some men after you our heart. Perhaps they need a lesson on whom to raid?”
                Can’N the Jaw leapt off the drakkar to greet me, “Evok, it’s been a while. I can’t say that you look well.”
                I responded, “This cursed armor is truly a burden. I quest to discover the truth of the armor at Haven.”
                Can’N the Jaw laughed heartily, “Well you are in luck my friend. We prepare to fly to Haven on business. Care to accompany us?”
                I replied, “Has to be better than walking.”
                Can’N the Jaw continued to laugh, “ I’ll take that as a yes! If you’ve never flown before you are in for a treat!”
                I rested while Can’N the Jaw continued to prepare his vessel for flight. After a day, we flew over the Caucavik Mountains to Haven. 

Haven, Approximately Rua 1510 TH.

 

                 I went to Brenula’s Arms to meet with the Wizard Hiermon to learn about blood ivy and see if it has any connection to the bloodweave armor. First, I had to convince Brenula to see the old buzzard, which was accomplished with a few gold pieces. I walked up the stairs to his second floor room.  The guy was ancient for a human. The room was filled with all manner of bookcases on arcane subjects, a desk and chair combo, an alchemical workbench, and a bed, all in disarray.
                I entered the room and started by saying, “What would it cost me for your professional opinion about my bloodweave armor?”
                Hiermon responded with some rude cursing about him being interrupted and then changed his tune at the color of the gold coins I poured on his work desk, “You have a high respect for my professional opinion. Lets take a look.”
                The old man opened a desk drawer and brought out a magnifying glass and looked over seemingly every inch of the armor. He the exclaimed, “Amazing! It seems to be fernweave made of blood ivy, although that substance is usually used in alchemical experiments and is only usually found in small quantities in the Blood Wood. The amount of blood ivy necessary to create fernweave armor would take years to collect and probably years to properly enchant. This is almost certainly the life’s work of a Blood Warder Elementalist.”
                I asked, “What kind of special properties is blood ivy known for?”
                Hiermon responded, “Well in alchemical potions it is well known for its regenerative properties, and is an especially fine ingredient to use in many magical healing potions. In fact one proverb I’ve heard blood elves use is that, ‘Those who seek life, seek out the blood ivy’.”
                I wondered aloud, “Could the opposite be true, could it also be that the blood ivy seeks life?”
                Hiermon mused, “Hmmm. Well that would certainly help explain its current status of bonding with you. But I find that my expertise is limited in this matter. If you truly want the answers, you’ll need to go to the source of the armor, the Blood Wood.”
                I stayed with Hiermon for a while and continued my training as a Wizard. I then sought out a blood elf Nethermancer called Fafedriel to train me in my other Discipline. He of course wanted to know everything about the bloodweave, information that I traded to learn more about the transformation of the Wyrm Wood to the Blood Wood, and the change from elf to blood elf. I additionally trained under him as a Nethermancer for a time. Confident in my new abilities, I set out for the Midland Trading Post, the midway point between Haven and the Blood Wood. 
 

Midland Trading Post-Warren’s Lair, Approximately Mawag 1510 TH.

 

 I rested at Gurt’s Inn and planned for my trip into the Blood Wood. My aim was to go to the Forest’s Heart and the Elven Court, so I planned to enter through the Blood Wood just south off Arralena. I didn’t plan on making any more stops on my trip, but I was thrown off course by one of my nauseating, dizzying episodes as a result of my armor. I wandered aimlessly looking for shelter or somewhere to rest. Lost, I continued to wander until I found a dark forest surrounding a large castle. The well-built fortress was massive, towering over the tallest trees of the forest. I thought that only the Therans could build such impressive structures. Still, I had no choice but to go to the fortress to rest.  
Elf warriors in an impressive, well-tailored uniform that seemed to mix old elven fashions with current Theran ones guarded the fortress. I asked them to open the gate for me. They seemed unmoved by my pleas, so I tried to motivate them with gold instead. They were not impressed by my attempt to bribe them. I thought about using my powers to affect them and force my way in, but too weak from my ordeals reaching here, I fainted instead.
When I awoke, I found myself in a lavish, but now bloodstained bed. An elf healer with an obvious look of concern was attempting to tend my wounds but was simply outmatched by my bloodweave armor. Looking about the room, there were a lot more people in here suffering from various injuries. At the door on each side were two elf guards.  One of the elf healers left the room suddenly. When he returned, behind him strode a human magician with blue-white eyes that gleamed like lightning, flowing white hair that streamed behind him, and wearing a brilliant red robe with inscribed symbols both magical and mundane, one of which matched the ones on the clothes of the guards. He walked to my bedside, his staff touching the floor and tapping as he walked. He laid the staff next to the wall and sat down on a chair next to me.
He said, “So you are the interloper in my dominion. I am Warren Crescent, master of this stronghold. Identify yourself and your purpose here.”
I replied, “I am Evok Nor and I meant no disrespect to you by my trespass. Tired from my long journey from Haven, I have come here seeking shelter and rest before I enter the Blood Wood.”
Warren said, “ The Blood Wood you say? You have gone a bit off course. You are in my fortress which is northeast of the Northern Reaches of the Blood Wood.”
I was incredulous, “ Impossible. I couldn’t have gone that far off course, I was going to the Southern Fringe!”
Warren continued, “Nevertheless, here is where you are. What business do you have in the Blood Wood? Something to do with the armor you wear?”
I recounted for him my tale to this point about how I came to become cursed by the bloodweave armor and all that has transpired since. Warren listened attentively, asking questions at certain points; especially about the nightmares I began having at Crag Hack’s Mansion. Finally at the end of the tale, Warren said, “So you are traveling to the Blood Wood to learn the truth about the cursed armor you wear? You mistakenly entered my realm because of an illness brought on by your armor, specifically vertigo that caused you to become lost and travel in the wrong direction? I think I understand. I will grant you enough time in my fortress to recover from your injuries to full health. I would also like to give you a gift.  Will you accept it?”
I was cynical, “ What kind of gift?”
Warren explained, “I understand that you have a problem with vertigo, the gift that I have for you is a special map. With this map you will never become lost again.”
I help out my hands, “I accept your gift.”
Warren said, “ Excellent. You are free to go anywhere in my fortress that you wish. I hope you enjoy my hospitality.”
                I rested for about a week before exploring the fortress. The fortress itself had every vice imaginable; harems, pubs, gambling dens, and even a coliseum where gladiators faced terrible battles with creatures of the Blood Wood as well as other gladiators. There was even a bazaar set up where you could find just about anything; weapons, armor, items, ancient texts and scrolls, and even a slave auction, with many rare and unique items from the Blood Wood. The slaves were often bought to become gladiators at the arena or to become harlots at the harems.  A brisk slave trade route seemed to run from somewhere in the Blood Wood to Haven or Parlainth through this trading post in both Name-givers and creatures.  Despite Throalic decrees outlawing slavery, the Therans continue to keep slavery alive in Barsaive, here and in Vivane. The real question is how the Therans can enter the Blood Wood and procure anything, unless they have the help of a blood warder…  Well, its got nothing to do with me. 

Warren’s Lair-Blood Wood, Approximately Gahmil 1510 TH.
 
                After buying supplies at the bazaar, I set out again on my journey to the Blood Wood. Using Warren’s map, I was able to get to the border of the Blood Wood’s Southern Fringe in no time at all. The magic map had a built-in Shantaya’s compass centered on your location relative to the map and a sextant was drawn to your intended destination. Even those with a rudimentary knowledge of navigation could use the map to get to any place. 
                As I approached the Blood Wood, my armor’s vines seemed to reach for the brush around me, as if making contact with an old friend. All of a sudden, a ward trap activated and thorn men surrounded me. Rather than attacking me outright, the thorn men seemed confused by my presence. As I strode into the Blood Wood, they followed me as if uncertain if I was a friend or foe. A powerful magic attempted to circumvent my entry to Arralena, but the map was not fooled by it. Thus my new ‘bodyguards’ and I entered the town of Arralena.
                At Arralena, my presence immediately got the attention of the Talshara ranelle, but that is to be expected when you come into town escorted by eight thorn men. The blood warders and exolashers of the outpost encircled me, and to my surprise, the thorn men fanned out to protect me, as if they could sense the intent of the blood elves to attack me. One of the elder blood warders called out to his men to halt, and came towards me to parlay.
                The blood warder said, “What brings you to Arralena, outsider?”
                I replied, “I come to see the elf queen Alachia, for perhaps only through her great wisdom can I learn about the bloodweave armor I wear.”
                The blood warder said, “ A foolish, unprotected elf demands entry to the Elf Queen’s Palace and thinks he is worthy of the beauty of our great queen? Go back from whence you came outsider!”
                I was enraged and dropped my façade of flattery, “The Blood Wood itself has sided with me. I have a right to the answers I seek. Why was the bloodweave created? Why was I cursed to wear it? For what purpose was it made? Why do I dream of the Forest Heart, with the Blood Wood haunting me in my dreams every night? I will walk to the source of the Blood Wood, the Elf Queen’s Palace and consult with the Elven Court on these matters. If you stand in my way, I will use all the powers I possess to defeat you. If these thorn men are any indication, you shall fight the very Blood Wood itself. You dare not oppose my will or the will of the Blood Wood!”
                The blood warder was subdued, “I do not understand why the thorn men protect you, and perhaps it is the will of the Blood Wood for you to find your answers here. I will send a detachment of my men with you to escort you to the Elf Queen’s Palace. These highly trained exolashers will make sure you do not go anywhere else in the Blood Wood but your destination.” 

Elf Queen’s Palace-Blood Wood exploration, Approximately Raquas- Doddul 1510 TH.


                I led an entourage of thorn men and exolashers to the Elf Queen’s Palace. The Palace was built into the branches of eight great oaks with many towers in the branches, and a mighty palace supported by all the oaks. It was a master feat of elementalism; whoever made the bloodweave had to be from here. The Courtyard exolashers and blood wardens seemed a little annoyed at my presence, but the exolashers from Arralena explained the situation to them and let me into the Palace. I have to admit those sixteen exolashers from Arralena and the Palace Courtyard, eight thorn men, and I entering the Palace must have been quite a scene to the consortis and blood warders. I began to ascend the staircase of bones when I was stopped by some of the members of the Elven Court who demanded that I leave. I demanded to be sent to the Rose Throne itself. The consortis considered my demand as outrageous, but a courier brought a message from Alachia herself. She had demanded to see me, and the consortis were too attached to their necks to dare to go against her whims. The exolashers left to their posts, their duty accomplished. The Queen’s personal bodyguards would certainly see to it that nothing happened to their Queen. One of the consortis led me to the Chamber of Voices where the Rose Throne was located. He opened the door to the chamber and left.  
                I entered the chamber, with my eight thorn men attendants. On a raised dais of alabaster was a rose-covered throne made of red-colored wood. The Queen who sat on it was far more beautiful than I anticipated. I did not expect to find her so attractive despite the thorns that pierced her skin. I kneeled to her to show my respect.
                Queen Alachia spoke and my ears could not get enough of her voice as gentle as a breeze carrying the songs of a songbird, “So you must be the outsider causing such a stir in my kingdom. I have known about your coming since you entered the Blood Wood. We have much to discuss. You have donned the cursed bloodweave armor. I can tell you the nature of this armor if you wish, but the humans have a saying ‘ignorance is bliss’. Once you know this knowledge, you will have to make a terrible choice.”
                I rapidly responded, “Yes. It is my greatest desire to know the truth.” I might have said yes even if I did not want to know, just to continue to hear her voice.
                Queen Alachia started, “Have you heard the tale of Lysarin Greenheart?”
                I sadly admitted, “No, my knowledge of the Blood Wood’s history is not very good.”
                Queen Alachia sadly said, “Lysarin Greenheart’s tale is a tragic one, for he became tainted by the Horrors and ended up creating a place called the Blasted Heath. The tainted Lysarin added True fire kernels to the birches of that place, created the tainted fire birches. The terrible pain drove the plant spirit mad and it left the fire birch, burning all nearby plants. The end result was the Blasted Heath. After this happened, Lysarin disappeared. When he later discovered that we had succeeded where he failed with the Ritual of Thorns, the madman wanted to make sure the Blood Wood would continue for all time. The blood magic of the Ritual of Thorns is powered by the life force of the elves and creatures that live here. Thus Lysarin learned that we would continue to need more unprotected elves to become blood elves to continue to protect the Blood Wood itself and perpetuate the Ritual of Thorns. So he spent years collecting blood ivy and using his knowledge of elementalism fashioned special fernweave armor. The fernweave armor called bloodweave seeks out unprotected elves and inflicts them with the pain of the Blood Wood, and brings out an illness called wood longing. Eventually they must give in and come to the Blood Wood. And once this is accomplished, the final stage of the curse comes into effect.”
                I couldn’t believe it, the curse got worse somehow, “The final stage of the curse?”
                Queen Alachia coldly said, “You have a year and a day to either decide to become a blood elf or die. If you attempt to leave the woods as an unprotected elf you will die.”
                I was shocked, “What? You mean to tell me that Lysarin created an item to help perpetuate the blood elf race by feeding off the unprotected elves? Wait a minute, if such a thing exists then that means…”
                Queen Alachia responded, “Yes. No one is born a blood elf; you must decide to go through the Ritual of Thorns to become a blood elf. Lysarin created the armor to ‘persuade’ elves of the Blood Wood to continue the cycle.”
                I felt if I had been stabbed in the heart, “So why don’t the elves just decide to stop doing the Ritual of Thorns?”
                Queen Alachia continued, “That decision would end the life of all the plants and animals of the Blood Wood.”
                I was enraged, “You monsters! The price of survival of the Scourge is the whole Wyrm Wood from the elves, to the plants, to the animals, and the very soil.”
                Queen Alachia calmly said, “Better that than the Wyrm Wood become like the Wastes or Badlands. I made a terrible decision to save my people and my land. Now you have an equally terrible decision to make, become a blood elf or die. I give you permission to go wherever you wish in the Blood Wood while you mull about your decision.”  
                I left the Chamber of Voices and the Elf Queen’s Palace and wandered throughout the Blood Wood. I visited the Blasted Heath and saw what a monster Lysarin truly was. If he was capable of this, he was surely capable of creating the bloodweave. I visited the Forest Heart and had my nightmares again, but this time I saw the dream with even more clarity, the faces of the blood elves were those that I had met, and among the elves I saw the face of my brother, Mestoph, wielding Lorm’s Axe. How could my brother be alive again unless I’ve saved him somehow? I decided that I could die and deny this prophecy, or live on as a blood elf and fulfill it as the ultimate act of vengeance against this corrupted place, and its people.  Thus I decided to undergo the Ritual of Thorns and become a blood elf. I would spend my remaining years as a blood elf and search for a way to reverse the Ritual of Thorns and have my revenge on the Blood Wood.

--Written by Evok Nor

Evok Nor doesn’t show up in the main storyline again until 1515 TH as a result of a chance encounter with Luke Branford. But a second journal may be in the works for later explaining Evok’s years between 1511-1515 TH.

Next time: Volume 4: Can’N the Jaw’s War

No comments:

Post a Comment