Tuesday, September 3, 2019

From the Vault: Laera Melodie


      The last of the 7 Sands Campaigns in character recaps. Trying to do Laera Melodie Part 2 was trying to remember a game lost to the mists of time itself. I found that it was virtually impossible to remember everything that had happened nine years earlier to make the next one. 

7 Sands Campaigns

Volume 5: Laera Melodie’s Journal Part 1

"Hey why do I always get picked last?"
● Rognar Barland ●

3

 
Spoiler Alert: The following journal contains spoilers of the FASA adventure Mists of Betrayal. You have been warned!

A Brief Foreword From the Author


        This journal deals with my first campaign that I was the sole gamemaster. We started with Mists of Betrayal, a quest I was very well familiar with, having been part of four TPKs (Total Party Kills) trying to play the adventure (Even one with Straight 18 characters!).  It was considered a player murder campaign in our gaming group. It was obvious it would take a skilled gamemaster with a heavy dose of gamemaster fiat to pull the adventure off as written. Laera Melodie is definitely a heavy dose of gamemaster fiat herself, a windling troubadour with a 20 Charisma specifically inserted into the group to deal with the spectral dancer late in the scenario who had been the death of two parties herself. Since I only had three players and Mists of Betrayal required six minimum players, I ran three NPCs during this campaign. Laera Melodie was a required character, and the players had a pick of the other two from Han Olveran, Jelde Urik, and Rognar Barland. The two they talked to first in the starting tavern would join up. I left the NPCs pretty underdeveloped since I expected the players to carry most of the roleplaying load, with them only really having traits from the personality system, and some early flaws. Over time, Han Olveran evolved into a player favorite in spite of this.

CAST (PCs and NPC Allies)

In Order of Appearance


CALABAN FASTHAND
Player: Shawn Pitman
Race/Discipline/Circle: Elf Thief First Circle
Homeland: Tureem
Passion: Chorrolis
Organization: None
Character History:  An orphan whose adventurer parents left him in the relative safety of Tureem on their way to a dangerous mission in Parlainth that they never returned from. His struggle for survival led him to become a Thief adept. He is a troublemaker and risk taker who often gets in trouble with the local guards. He dreams of stealing treasure, then gambling it to make even more money, and being surrounded by elf women.
Long-term Goals: To make as much loot in as little of time as possible and then double it again.

CHRIS DIVINE

Player: Robert Egli
Race/Discipline/Circle: Elf Nethermancer First Circle
Homeland: Tureem.
Passion: None
Organization: None
Character History: A former gravedigger who had turned into a Nethermancer adept. He spent some time examining the dead in the Tureem cemetery studying death and decomposition as well as looting them of valuables. While rotting in jail for grave robbing, he met Calaban Fasthand, and the two fast became friends.
Long-term Goals: To gain power by studying the boundaries between life and death.

RAVIN DEATHBRINGER

Player: Joshua Murphy
Race/Discipline/Circle: Troll Sky Raider First Circle
Homeland: Caucavik Mountain Range
Passion: Thystonius
Trollmoot: Shrieker
Character History: Ravin Deathbringer was a Shrieker who left the trollmoot to seek an adventure that would get him noticed by the trollmoot, similar to what his idol Can’N the Jaw accomplished. The first town he found was a hamlet called Tureem en route to Haven. He joined the party after showing up at the Common House.
Long-term Goals: To become a crewmember of a Shrieker drakkar and destroy the Stoneclaws personally.

HAN OLVERAN (NPC)

Player: Steven Black
Race/Discipline/Circle: Elf Archer First Circle
Homeland: Jungle near Tureem
Passion: Astendar
Organization: None
Character History: Han Olveran fled the elf tribe in the jungles near Tureem after hearing rumors of monsters living in the jungle. These monsters later slaughtered his elf tribe and Han was wracked with guilt for his craven act. He joins the party to redeem himself for his cowardice and free the jungle of the creatures that killed his elf tribe. He is known to have a weakness for elf maidens.
Long-term Goals: To become a legendary Archer.
Surface Traits: Courteous, Proud
Hidden Traits: Cowardly, Lustful
Flaws: Addiction (Elf Women)

JELDE URIK (NPC)

Player: Steven Black Race/Discipline/Circle: Human Warrior First Circle
Homeland: Tureem
Passion: Thystonius
Organization: None
Character History: Jelde Urik was known for having a bad temper as a child in Tureem. He wanted to leave the town and seek adventure elsewhere. He trained as a Warrior, and tried to discipline himself to control his temper, but it didn’t work very well.
Long-term Goals: To become a legendary Warrior.
Surface Traits: Aggressive, Energetic
Hidden Traits: Impulsive
Flaws: Berserker.

LAERA MELODIE (NPC)

Player: Steven Black
Race/Discipline/Circle: Windling Troubadour First Circle
Homeland: Jungle near Tureem
Passion: Astendar
Organization: Troubadour Guild of Tureem
Character History:  Laera Melodie fled the jungles near Tureem after unknown creatures wiped out her clan. She joined the party to gain revenge on the monsters who killed her clan and lover. She is known to have a weakness for strong windling men.
Long-term Goals: To become a legendary storyteller and Troubadour.
Surface Traits: Extroverted
Hidden Traits: Lustful
Flaws: Addiction (Strong Windling Men)

ROGNAR BARLAND (NPC)

Player: Steven Black
Race/Discipline/Circle: Dwarf Weaponsmith First Circle
Homeland: Tureem
Passion: Upandal
Organization: Merchant Guild of Tureem
Character History: A Weaponsmith of Tureem who wanted to go on an adventure and gain his own forge. He instead stays in the tavern and drinks all night. He complains about headaches when hammering at work all day, then drinks all night and starts the process over again. 
Long-term Goals: To become a legendary Weaponsmith and obtain his own weapon/armor shop and forge.
Surface Traits: Drunkard
Hidden Traits: Creative
Flaws: Addiction (Alcohol)

CAST (NPCs/Enemies)

In Order of Appearance


HIERMON
Race/Discipline/Circle: Human Wizard Seventh Circle
Homeland: Haven
Passion: Chorrolis
Character History: See Mists of Betrayal page 91. See Parlainth: The Forgotten City page 23. IMB, Hiermon is a cranky, cursing, greedy Wizard (and was a PC favorite for it). 

For the others, see the Cast of Characters section on page 87 of Mists of Betrayal.

Laera Melodie’s Journal Part 1

 

Mists of Betrayal


Tureem
Strassa 1, 1511 TH

        I remember being happy once. My clan lived in the jungles near a remote village called Tureem. We survived by gathering berries, and hunting small game. We lived as a small community, but it felt like a large extended family. My father, Galba, was the clan elder, and my Troubadour mother, Cerise, was the clan historian. I worked at foraging food and herbs during the day while the men hunted. At night, we sang, we danced, and we told stories. I loved the stories best, and begged to learn the oral history of our tribe from my mother until she finally relented. I soon became a Troubadour adept and one of the best storytellers and singers in the clan.
        One day, while looking for food in the jungle, I was startled by a lizard in the brush. I tried to fly away, but it was already too late. From behind me, I heard a sizzling sound. As electricity charged the air, my hair stood on end. Then there were two flashes of light accompanied by the crashing of thunder as two bolts of lightning coursed through my entire body. The shock of the blow forced me to the ground and I lay there stunned, with the smell of charring in my nostrils. I must have looked a mess and I could only stare out as I felt consciousness slipping away. Then seemingly out of nowhere came Azoul, a firebrand windling hunter of our clan famed for his fearlessness in taking on prey much larger than himself. He swooped down and landed a glancing blow at the side of the lizard’s head with his sword and placed himself between the lizard and me. As he distracted the lizard, the other hunters circled around to the back and stabbed the lizard with their spears connecting with its vulnerable tail. The lizard was unwilling to die for a meager meal of a wounded windling, and surrounded itself with an aura of crackling shards of lightning to serve as a warning to the windlings not to attack, and then it fled. I don’t know if they got the lizard, as I passed out.
        Azoul had carried me back to the village and his mother, Kashaya, our clan healer, saved my life with a healing ointment that soothed my burn injuries. It took a long time for my skin to grow back where the lightning struck and Azoul and his mother were my constant companions. I craved that companionship, and I needed them to hear my stories and my songs or else I would have gone crazy from loneliness.  I had also found out that Azoul was a worthy partner, strong enough to protect and feed a family, and a good listener. Azoul confessed his feelings for me when I became well enough to fly from his tree-house, and I confessed my own mutual feelings for him. After finally recovering from my wounds, when Azoul and I were out supposed to be gathering food and hunting, we were often making love in the woods instead. No one said anything about our light harvests, but by the looks in their eyes they knew the source.  I still wonder if I’d be betrothed or married by now to Azoul if not for the tragedy that struck our clan next. The night that made all of this seem like a happy dream that had never existed.
        One night, we were telling stories by a small fire like usual. That’s when the jungle seemed to grow thick before our very eyes, encircling us like viny fingers. Then we heard the blood-curdling screams of our hunters and guards. I ran from the campfire screaming out Azoul’s Name. I almost wish I had never seen Azoul that night. I found him on the ground, with his entrails hanging out of his gut, which had been opened by a rending claw of impossible sharpness. As I knelt close listening for breath and feeling his pulse for signs of life, he whispered out to me, “Laera fly.” He pointed with his index finger at a small opening in the jungle that had enclosed all around us like a trap. I hesitated and looked back to Azoul, but he had already moved on. I heard a cacophony of screams from my village. I knew at that moment that I was the last one of my clan still alive. I took flight for the small opening, and contorted my body to make it through the narrow space. Halfway through, I felt something strike the back of my leg, but I made it. I flew as fast as I could and when I could bear no more, and rested on a tree branch. I tore off the sleeves of my dress to make a tourniquet for my leg to stop the bleeding as I learned from watching Kashaya bandage the hunters of my village from bleeding wounds. I flew down to the ground and tested my wounded leg. I could still stand and walk, but running was out of the question. I walked to the edge of the jungle and saw the town of Tureem. Across the open plain, I decided to fly to my new home.
        I was a refugee and Tureem was my sanctuary. Tureem’s healer, Graka, healed my leg. But my respite was short-lived. The creatures had followed me to Tureem and began to stalk new victims in the town. I even wondered if they had left me alive just to chase me to another hunting ground. Am I cursed?
        They were picking off the villagers one by one. We were all wondering by this point—would this night be my turn to die in my bed? I for one would not die like that. If I were to die to these monsters, I would do it with my boots on and sword in hand.
        It began as a normal night at the Common House. I was singing and dancing to earn my keep; biding my time and waiting for a chance at revenge on the abominations who had killed my family, my clan, and my beloved. I was not alone in my determination for vengeance. Han Olveran had fled the jungle and his elf tribe as well because of the monstrosities. It was like I was just waiting for the opportunity, the spark, which would set events in motion. This just happened to be the night that a massive troll walked into the Common House. He was hairless, and white as a ghost carrying a scythe. The Common House that had been bustling with activity and noise became still with silence as if everyone in the room were viewing an apparition, or perhaps the Passion Death returned in troll form. The troll strolled through the room casually as if he hadn’t noticed everyone’s reaction to him, or he was so used to this reaction by now that he was numb to it and even expecting it. He took a stool at the bar and ordered some dwarf stout ale. With his back turned, most of the bar patrons decided to make for the door. I resumed my performance while keeping my eyes on the entrance.
        I finally saw what I was looking for, as the local overseer of Tureem, Turan, entered the room. Turan had no doubt heard about the troll and saw the same opportunity as myself. He took a seat at the bar and ordered a drink for himself and the troll. He made an offer of sixty silver pieces to go into the jungles near Tureem and slay the murdering monsters to the troll and any who would accompany him. Turan knew that the patrons who remained after seeing this troll would be courageous souls who could rid the village of its problem. The fact that many of Tureem’s most brave souls were its worst troublemakers was just a bonus as far as Turan was concerned. The troll decided to take the mission, as well as the mischievous duo of the local miscreant, Calaban Fasthand, a tall and thin elf Thief, and local grave robber Chris Divine, the short and stocky elf Nethermancer, the temperamental but well-built human Warrior Jelde Urik, the tall and frail elf Archer Han Olveran, and myself, the small and gorgeous windling Troubadour Laera Melodie. A lone dwarf was the only other customer at the bar remaining, and he spent the night drinking many mugs by himself. The troll introduced himself as Ravin Deathbringer of the Shrieker clan, stopping at Tureem en route to Haven. Turan gave us the run of the Common House, a thirty silver piece advance, and fifty percent off vouchers redeemable at Graka’s Hut and Turan’s Everygoods, and then left us to make our preparations for our journey into the western jungle.
        Calaban Fasthand decided that if he might die the next day, this night would be especially memorable. He flirted with the two human barmaids, and after a few drinks and enough cajoling, got the short and perky brunette with long hair, Malisa, to walk up the stairs with him. Chris Divine got the same idea and used the same technique on the remaining barmaid; the tall and athletic blonde with her hair in braids, Brynwar, but not the same results. A slap to the face is all that he earned. Most women would do that if a man smelling of earth and corpses were hitting on them. I know I would. If there were any worthy windling men around, I’d probably be doing the same thing as them. These creatures killed my family, my clan, and my beloved, Han Olveran’s jungle elf tribe, and many villagers of Tureem; they could very well kill us all tomorrow. If you had only one night before a possible death sentence the next day, you’d make that night count too. We all partied as if it were our last night alive. I passed out after overindulging in keesris wine.

Tureem

Strassa 2


        We started the day by shaking off our hangovers, and hangers-on in the case of Malisa and Calaban to use our thirty silver pieces and fifty percent off vouchers at Graka’s Hut and Turan’s Everygoods. I suggested we buy healing aids from Graka. At the low price of twenty-five silver pieces apiece, booster potions would never be cheaper or more necessary. After making the essential preparations, we six adventurers set out to the west to hunt down the monsters.
       Fortunately for us, Han Olveran had experience in hunting and tracking and found the creatures’ tracks leading into the jungle near Tureem, where my clan used to be. According to Han, they had eight furry legs, and could be giant spiders. I knew these were no mere giant spiders, but something far more dangerous possessing magical powers, a cunning intellect, and strong sinewy muscles and sharper claws to match. I knew what I was walking into, and yet even as the canopy of the jungle I once called home enveloped me again, I did not turn back. We followed Han deeper into the jungle.
Han led us to an alcove in the jungle smelling of decaying flesh. I looked to the ground for the accompanying bodies, but instead watched as thistles and briars from the ground grew in an instant upward and above, encompassing me in a tunnel of thorns. There was only one path, forward, with no retreat possible. Worse, I stared down at the tunnel at the thing that was a spider—and yet was not—directly ahead of me. A humanoid face stared back at me with vacant eyes, as one of its spider legs scratched across its chitinous chest. Could this thing have once been a Name-giver? Had it seen me? I brandished my windling two-handed sword and dived at it, ignoring the pain of the flight caused by the thorny barbs tearing at me. I delivered a glancing blow to its jaw, and turned up to near the top of the maze, hoping that I could avoid its reach with its long legs. That’s when it extended its leg that it had dragged across its chest towards me, and all of a sudden an icy, barbed web ensnared me. The icy barbs pierced my flesh, freezing me to the bone. Unable to move, my wings were unable to keep me aloft and I started falling to the ground. I was so cold; I was surprised that I didn’t shatter to pieces upon impact with the soil. I looked up to see the Horror construct lording over me, with its forelegs raised in anticipation. I watched through unblinking eyes frozen to the sight, as icy spikes formed on its forelegs.
 It started to plunge its forelegs down at me, when it unexpectedly toppled over. A triumphant and bloodied Calaban Fasthand stood up from underneath the monster with his broadsword dripping with guts and blood in hand. When it had risen up to kill me, Calaban had slid underneath and delivered a deathblow to its tender abdomen, disemboweling it instantaneously. 1 The icy barbs and thorny maze dissipated in an instant. As I got to my feet, I watched the other one die after a berserk Jelde Urik slashed its head off with his battle-axe.
       It was just like before with the lizard, I couldn’t do anything. Knocked down and immobilized, I was just waiting for somebody to save me again. My chance for revenge for my beloved, my family, and my village wasted on one mere slash of my sword. But at least I was here to watch the pair die for their sins against my tribe.
       Calaban and Chris looted the pair’s lair, finding a mysterious amulet on a silver chain with a silver starburst pattern stained red in the middle. Chris was unable to view into astral space yet, and asked me to see if I could determine whether it was magical based on my natural vision into the astral plane. I looked into the astral plane and could not see the pattern of the item, but could tell that it was a magical item based on its astral aura. I told Chris and Calaban about how the spider-like being’s magic seemed to work, and the duo removed their forelegs and metallic deposits on the spider’s chests that looked like a metal web. Ravin used his scythe to slice off the head of the other spider construct and put both of the heads in a large sack. “Proof,” he said. I thought I was going to be sick watching these three slice and dice these dead constructs.
We returned to Tureem with the heads of the slain spider constructs and delivered them to Turan, earning us an additional 30 silver pieces apiece. We asked Turan about the magical amulet and the strange magic of the spider constructs, and he told us that no one in the town of Tureem knew anything of magic. Chris, of course, disagreed. Turan, perhaps seeing an opportunity to rid Tureem of its troublemakers forever, then continued talking about a Wizard Named Hiermon who lives in the Old Neighborhood of the town of Haven that borders Parlainth. Turan told us that the wise wizard Hiermon could help us identify and use the amulet, or at the very least appraise the value of the item and sell it at the markets of Haven. He also told us that Hiermon could explain to us how the spider construct’s magic works as well. He finally told us of the ruins of Parlainth and the great risks and dangers there, but also of the great rewards of treasure. Our greed, curiosity, and thrill seeking piqued, we asked for Turan to give us directions and we made plans to head for Haven.
        We returned to the Common House for a night of debauchery, performance, rest, or a combination thereof, depending upon our personal preference. Calaban returned to Malisa’s bed, and I think Brynwar had either too much to drink or too much euphoria and relief upon learning the news of the death of the spider constructs, because she decided to take Chris to bed with her!  I guess persistence does pay off sometimes.

Tureem to Haven

Strassa 3-4

       
        We followed Turan’s directions to Haven, and we were surprised to arrive in Haven without difficulty after hearing Turan’s stories about the dangers of the area around Parlainth.
        The ruins of Parlainth are both beautiful and terrible to behold. The shattered marble and stone Theran capital spoke of the Theran mastery of Barsaive, and how it all crumbled away during the Scourge. As well as the terrible price that was paid by those who turned away from the proven Rites of Protection and Passage to seek salvation from the Scourge to other unproven and unsavory methods. And yet, there was a beacon of shiny alabaster walls within the ruins, Haven. Can this Wizard, Hiermon, really tell us what magic lurks within the amulet and the spider chests we possess? We’ll find out tomorrow, I guess.

Haven

Strassa 5

        We entered Haven and after a quick survey of the town, Calaban returned to tell us that Hiermon lived on the second story of a shop called Brenula’s Arms. We made our way there.
         

1 Surprise Strike for 48 with Step 18 Damage!

Next time: Volume 6: Laera Melodie’s Journal: Part 2


No comments:

Post a Comment